The finest cruise berth in St Petersburg is the English Embankment on the south bank of the River Neva, but only ships with a shallow draft can reach it.
The passenger terminal here has four checkpoints for passport control, a public phone, and an exchange bureau. There are souvenir shops across the street.
At number 2 on the embankment is the old Senate Building. Number 32 was once used by the Board of Foreign Affairs; Alexander Pushkin worked there for a while. Otto von Bismarck lived at number 50 as Prussian envoy to Russia in 1859-62.
The English Church used to be at number 56. The embankment got its name from the English merchants that settled here in the 18th century.
In communist times it was renamed the Red Fleet Embankment but changed back in 1994, just before a visit to St Petersburg by Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth.
The Hermitage and other attractions of the centre are nearby. The views of the river are magnificent, especially in the evening. This part of the river bank is where the people of St Petersburg like to walk during the White Nights of summer.
Unfortunately cruise passengers without visas are not permitted to wander ashore without an accompanying guide. If you are moored overnight on the English Embankment, it's worth booking a guide for an evening stroll.