The South Harbour contains the finest cruise berths in Helsinki. Only fairly short cruise ships, able to navigate the strait at the offshore fortress of Suomenlinna, can reach them.
On the way into the South Harbour, you'll pass two fine wooden buildings on islands. The one with a green roof is the headquarters of NJK, the largest yachting club in Finland.
Alongside it is the island of Klippan. Its red-roofed Empire Villa was built a couple of years earlier in 1898 and today hosts a summer restaurant. Diners reach it by a shuttle boat from just south of the Olympia Terminal.
Pakkahuone Quay (EPL) is by the Market Hall. The Olympia Quay (EO1) is a little farther away but, as compensation, it is next to the modern Olympia terminal, used by scheduled ferries to Sweden.
The area teems with restaurants, kiosks, money exchange bureaus and souvenir shops. There is a tourist information office at the start of the Esplanade. In front of it is a post box.
The west side of the harbour is served by the number 3 tram, which goes down to the market place at the end, turns left at Senate Square by the Cathedral, and after several more stops passes the Rock Church in Temple Square.